Inter-municipal waste management and recycling in Gardermoen region
Øvre Romerike Avfallsselskap IKS (ØRAS) manages a modern recycling center that collects more than 95% of waste for recycling.
ØRAS is an inter-municipal waste company owned by the municipalities Eidsvoll, Hurdal, Nannestad og Ullensaker to receive and manage household waste from 84 000 inhabitants (as per 1.1.2021)
- Number of households: 36 000
- 38 000 tons household waste in 2020 (456 kg/capita)
- Employees pr. 1.1.2021: 44
- Turnover 2020: EUR 7,73 mill
- Budget 2021: EUR 11,1 mill
- 42 years as an inter-municipal company
Øvre Romerike Avfallsselskap IKS (ØRAS) operates a modern recycling center that collects around 97% of waste for recycling and reuse.
ØRAS is an inter-municipal waste company owned by four municipalities to collect and manage household waste from more than 86 000 inhabitants (as per 1.1.2022). The company received around 37 000 tons of household waste in 2021 (440 kg/capita).
ØRAS is located at Dal Skog, 20 km from Oslo Airport, Gardermoen.
ØRAS is certified to ISO standard NS-EN ISO14001 and NS-EN ISO 9001.
The activities of ØRAS include the operation of
- a modern recycling station
- a waste sorting facility which has sorted out food waste in separate bags since 1998
- a compost plant producing compost and soil from food and garden waste
- an active landfill with waste water treatment
- a production plant of biochar by pyrolysis
- a second-hand store selling around 4 tons of goods a week
- a teaching program for school children
All ØRAS compost producst is peat-free and meets the standard set for ecological cultivation.
ØRAS cooperates with schools and invites pupils to learn about recycling in their region. About 2.000 pupils from both primary and secondary schools visit the plant yearly.